This copycat shamrock shake is a delicious minty milkshake reminiscent of your favorite fast food's version.
Anyone else love mint milkshakes, just like the Shamrock shake you find at McDonald's?
If you're wondering what I'm talking about, a Shamrock shake is a milk shake you can only find part of the year at McDonald's. It tends to be around St. Patrick's day that you'll find this tasty shake on their menu.
Shamrock shake recipe
The biggest complaint I have is that I like mint milkshakes all year round. Not only for a month during the year.
McDonald's shamrock shake is fun to make and now you don't need to wait until it's on the menu! You can make this shake anytime you crave a little minty goodness.
What is a Shamrock Shake?
A Shamrock shake is a mint milkshake that McDonald's adds to their menu for a limited time of the year. You can find these milkshakes at McDonalds in March.
It has gone through many variations over the years, starting out as a lemon/lime flavored shake.
What Flavor is a Shamrock Shake?
Shamrock shake is a delicious mint flavored milkshake.
- Allow the ice cream to soften for 5-10 minutes before making. If your freezer is on the warm side, you don't need to do this. If the ice cream was in a deep freezer, it may need a few extra minutes to stop being rock hard.
- You can add as much or little mint extract as you want, depending on your preference. Obviously, the more extract you add, the more minty the shake will be.
- You can leave out the green food coloring. The only thing it adds in color. The shakes are just as tasty, although maybe not as fun or pretty without the green color.
- You can use milk or heavy cream in your milkshake. If you like a thinner shake, use a bit more. If you prefer your shake to be thicker, you can use less.
Dairy Free - One of my favorite things about our local Burgerville is the option to order a dairy free shake. You can order a Bliss shake and they use a coconut milk instead . You can do this same thing at home. Use a non-dairy ice cream as well as coconut or almond milk. You'll notice it isn't quite as thick as if you had used the milk versions, but it's still great.
Add Ins - Add in some Oreos or chococolate chips. Going back to Burgerville again, they have a delicious Timber Joey shake that is exactly like a Shamrock shake, except it has Oreos in it as well. It is super delicious!
Alcoholic - Add some vodka to make this an delicious boozy variation.
Vanilla ice cream: this is the base of our milk shake.
Mint extract: you'll add some mint extract to get that delicious mint flavor. You can add more or less depending on your tastes.
Milk or Heavy Cream: to thin out the shake a bit as well add an extra touch of creaminess.
Whipped Topping or Whipped Cream: This shake wouldn't be complete without a bit of whipped cream on top!
How to Make Shamrock Shake
Blend: Add all the ingredients to the blender and mix until it's well blended
- 4 cups Vanilla Ice Cream
- ½ Cup Milk can use heavy cream if you prefer
- 1 teaspoon mint extract can use peppermint extract if you prefer
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until well mixed together.