These Air fryer churros made with angel food cake is an easy dessert to make that you whole family will love
If you love churros, you'll love these churro bites made in the air fryer.
Decadent and sweet, these churro bites are a delicious dessert made from angel food cake that have been cut into bite sized pieces and then fried in the air fryer.
It is so simple to make and only takes a few minutes.
Air Fryer Churros
You'll take sweet, fluffy angel food cake, and transform it into bite-sized treats with a crunchy outside and a tender inside, just like a churro.
Then, roll them in a cinnamon-sugar mix to give them that true churro experience. The smell alone will make you feel like you're at a fun food fair!
You'll also want to make our dipping sauce that is creamy and sweet. You'll make it with powdered sugar, cream cheese, milk, and a bit of butter. These ingredients blend together to make a sauce that's so smooth and sweet, it's the perfect partner for these crispy churro bites.
Here are just a few reasons we love these air fryer churros made from angel food cake:
- They're super tasty! The sweetness of the angel food cake combined with the cinnamon-sugar coating and the creamy dipping sauce is a taste sensation that's hard to beat.
- They're bite-sized. This makes them perfect for parties, picnics, or just a fun snack. Everyone can have their own little plate of churro bites!
- They're super easy to make. With an air fryer, you don't have to worry about heating up oil or deep frying anything. And the dipping sauce is just a matter of blending ingredients together.
- They're a unique twist on a classic. Who would have thought you could turn angel food cake into churros? This is a dessert that's sure to impress your friends and family.
- The dipping sauce is versatile. Not only is it great with these churro bites, but you can also use it for dipping fruit, spreading on toast, or even drizzling over pancakes or waffles.
- They fill your kitchen with amazing smells. When you're cooking these, your home will smell like a bakery mixed with a cinnamon wonderland. It's a bonus treat for your nose!
Favorite Dipping Sauces
My kids always think dipping any food item instantly makes it better and these churro bites aren't any different. Here are a few dipping sauces you might like:
- Cream cheese sauce (recipe included at the end)
- Chocolate sauce
- Caramel sauce
- Apple butter
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla ice cream
What is the best way to eat churro bites?
Dipped in a delicious sauce while still warm is our favorite way to eat these.
How to store churro bites for later?
They are really best eaten right out of the air fryer while still warm, but if you are unable to finish them all, you can store in an airtight container on the counter for 2 to 3 days.
How to reheat churro bites
If you have leftovers that you'd like to reheat, just stick them in the air fryer at 350°F and heat for 3-4 minutes, or until warm.
Tips for Making the Best Churro Bites
Here are some tips for making the best churro bites in your air fryer.
- Cube Size Matters: Try to cut the angel food cake into even-sized cubes. This helps make sure they all cook at the same rate in the air fryer.
- Shake It Up: Halfway through the cooking process, shake the air fryer basket to make sure the churro bites cook evenly.
- Don't Overcrowd the Air Fryer: Cook the bites in batches if necessary. Overcrowding can lead to uneven cooking and less crispy churro bites.
- Temperature Check: Different air fryers can run at slightly different temperatures. You might need to adjust the cooking time based on your specific model. Keep an eye on the churro bites, especially near the end of the baking time.
- Mix the Sugar and Cinnamon Well: Ensure the sugar and cinnamon are thoroughly mixed together. This will make sure each bite gets an even coating of sweet goodness.
- Let Them Cool: Let the churro bites cool for a couple of minutes after taking them out of the air fryer. This will help them firm up a bit, making them even more delicious.
- Softened Ingredients For Sauce: Make sure your cream cheese and butter are softened before blending them for the dipping sauce. This will help you get a smooth, creamy texture.
- Adjust Dipping Sauce Consistency: If your dipping sauce is too thick, add a little more milk. If it's too thin, add a little more powdered sugar.
- Serve Immediately: These churro bites are best served fresh out of the air fryer while they're still warm and crispy. Enjoy them right away with the dipping sauce for the best taste experience.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Churro Bites
Angel Food Cake: This is the base of our churro bites. The light, fluffy texture of angel food cake is perfect for turning into bite-sized air fryer treats. When choosing an angel food cake, go for one that is fresh and has a nice vanilla flavor. If you're feeling adventurous, you could even make your own!
Sugar: Sugar is used to create the sweet, crystallized coating that we associate with churros. For this recipe, we're using a blend of granulated and brown sugar. The brown sugar adds a hint of molasses flavor that gives an extra depth to the sweetness. Remember, the sugar coating will caramelize in the air fryer, giving your churro bites a lovely golden color.
Ground Cinnamon: This is the signature spice that gives churros their distinctive flavor. It's mixed with the sugar to create the coating for our churro bites. When it comes to cinnamon, I prefer to use Ceylon cinnamon, which has a lighter, more complex flavor than the common Cassia variety.
Cream Cheese Dip Ingredients
Powdered Sugar: This is a key ingredient in our dipping sauce. It dissolves easily, providing a smooth sweetness without any grittiness. Always sift your powdered sugar before using it in recipes to ensure it's lump-free.
Cream Cheese: Cream cheese adds a tangy richness to our dipping sauce that balances out the sweetness. Make sure it's softened before you start - this will make it easier to blend and result in a smoother sauce. I prefer to use full-fat cream cheese for the creamiest, most flavorful sauce.
Milk: Milk helps to thin out the dipping sauce to the perfect consistency for dipping. It also adds a bit of creaminess. You can use any type of milk you have on hand, but whole milk will make the richest sauce.
Unsalted Butter: This adds a luxurious richness to our dipping sauce. Using unsalted butter allows us to control the amount of salt in our recipe. Make sure it's softened to room temperature for easy blending.
How to Make Air Fryer Churro Bites
Start off by arranging your angel food bites in the air fryer. Make sure they are not overcrowded, giving them some room to breathe. A light spray of oil will help them turn golden and crispy as they cook. Set your air fryer to 350 degrees and let them cook for about 5 minutes.
While your heavenly bites are getting crispy, you can prepare the sweet and spicy coating. Mix together your cinnamon and sugar until they're well combined. Once your angel food bites are done cooking, let them cool for a moment before pouring them into a gallon-size bag. Add your sugar and cinnamon mixture to the bag, then shake, shake, shake! Make sure every bite is beautifully coated with that sweet cinnamon-sugar goodness.
Now, it's time to whip up your creamy dipping sauce. Take a mixing bowl and combine all the sauce ingredients. Blend them together until the mixture is silky smooth. Remember, you're in control of the consistency of your sauce. If you want it thicker, sprinkle in more sugar. If you prefer a thinner sauce, add a bit more milk.
And there you have it! You've created your very own air fryer angel food cake churro bites with a dreamy dipping sauce. Enjoy these sweet treats while they're still warm for the best taste experience.
More Delicious Desserts
Air Fryer Churros with Angel Food Cake
- ½ angel food cake cubed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- Place the angel food bites in the air fryer. Spray with oil and cook on 350 for 5 minutes.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar together and pour over the churro bites. Pour bites and sugar mixture into a gallon size bag and shake until bites are coated.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients and mix until smooth. For thicker sauce add more sugar, for thinner, add more milk.
Make sure to follow Gather in my Kitchen on Pinterest for all the latest easy and delicious recipes!