Chicken parmesan stromboli is a great dinner option that combines the classic Italian flavors of chicken parmesan with the convenience of a hand-held, easy to eat stromboli.
If you're looking for a quick and easy meal that's bursting with flavor, look no further than chicken parmesan stromboli!
This delicious dish features all the classic flavors of chicken parmesan, wrapped up in a warm and crispy pizza dough crust.
Not only is it easy to make, but it's also a crowd-pleaser that's perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it uses premade pizza dough, making it a snap to put together. You can find pre-made dough in the refrigerated section of your grocery store, or you can even use frozen dough that's been thawed.
The dough is then rolled out and stuffed with a savory mixture of chicken, cheese, and tomato sauce, before being baked until golden brown and crispy.
The result is a mouthwatering meal that's packed with delicious flavors and textures.
The chicken is tender and juicy, the cheese is melty and gooey, and the tomato sauce adds a tangy and savory element that ties everything together.
So if you're looking for a quick, easy, and delicious meal that the whole family will love, give this chicken parmesan stromboli recipe a try!
Chicken Parmesan Stromboli
Here are some of the reasons chicken parmesan stromboli is such a beloved recipe:
- Quick and easy: Using premade pizza dough makes this recipe easy to put together. It's perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends when you want a delicious meal without a lot of fuss.
- Bursting with flavor: Chicken parmesan stromboli features all the classic flavors of chicken parmesan, including juicy chicken, tangy tomato sauce, and melty cheese. The pizza dough crust adds an extra layer of texture and flavor.
- Versatile: This recipe is easy to customize to your tastes. You can use different types of cheese, add veggies or other toppings, or even swap out the chicken for another protein.
- Crowd-pleaser: Chicken parmesan stromboli is a meal that the whole family will love. It's perfect for dinner parties, game nights, or anytime you want to feed a group of hungry people.
- Leftovers: If you're lucky enough to have any leftovers, chicken parmesan stromboli makes for a great lunch the next day. Simply reheat in the oven or microwave and enjoy!
If you have leftovers of your chicken parmesan stromboli, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
When reheating, it's best to avoid using the microwave, as this can make the crust soggy.
Instead, preheat your oven to 350°F and place the stromboli on a baking sheet. Heat in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Alternatively, you can freeze your leftovers for up to 2 months. Wrap the stromboli tightly in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil, or place it in an airtight container or freezer bag. When you're ready to reheat, allow the stromboli to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating as directed above.
Leftover stromboli can also be sliced and served cold, making for a quick and easy lunch or snack.
Tips for Making the Best Chicken Parmesan Stromboli
Here are some tips to help you make the best chicken parmesan stromboli:
- Make sure not to overfill the stromboli. This will not only make it harder to seal the edges of the pizza dough, but will also make it so the filling comes out while baking.
- Along the same lines, make sure to seal the edges of the dough tightly so all the filling stays inside while baking.
- Experiment with different fillings. This is pretty much a chicken parmesan calazone, try making it with all your favorite ingredients.
- Make sure to allow the stromboli to rest after baking. This allows the filling to set a bit and makes it so when you cut into the stromboli, the filling doesn't ooze out everywhere.
Favorite Side Dishes for Chicken Parmesan Stromboli
While this makes a great meal on it's own, we love pairing it with other items to make it a more rounded meal. Here are some ideas:
- Side salad: A simple green salad with a light dressing, such as a vinaigrette, can balance out the richness of the stromboli and provide some freshness.
- Garlic bread: Garlic bread is a classic side dish for Italian dishes and pairs well with the flavors of the stromboli. You can use store-bought or make your own by toasting slices of bread with garlic butter and parmesan cheese.
- Steamed vegetables: Steaming vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans can provide a healthy and low-calorie side dish to balance out the rich flavors of the stromboli.
- Garlic mashed potatoes: Mashed potatoes can provide a creamy and flavorful side dish for the stromboli. Adding garlic to the mashed potatoes can enhance the savory flavors of the dish.
Ingredients for Chicken Parmesan Stromboli
Pizza dough: The base of the stromboli, providing the structure and texture for the filling.
Frozen chicken strips: The main protein source for the recipe, which can be shredded or chopped for the filling.
Seasoning: A blend of herbs and spices that adds classic Italian flavors to the dish. Divided, it is used both in the chicken seasoning and the pizza dough coating.
Pizza sauce: The tomato-based sauce that provides a tangy and savory flavor to the filling.
Shredded mozzarella cheese: A classic cheese, providing a melty and gooey texture to the filling.
Butter: Brushed onto the crust of the stromboli before baking, providing a golden and crispy texture to the dough.
Grated parmesan cheese: A flavorful cheese used to top the stromboli before baking, providing a salty and savory element to the dish.
How to Make Chicken Parmesan Stromboli
To make chicken parmesan stromboli, preheat your oven to 400°F. While the oven is heating up, arrange frozen chicken strips on a baking sheet and sprinkle with half of the Italian seasoning and half of the garlic powder. Bake the chicken for 18 to 20 minutes or until crispy, then remove from the oven and let it cool slightly.
Next, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and unroll the pizza dough on top. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and place them on one half of the pizza dough. Top the chicken with pizza sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese.
Fold the other half of the dough over the toppings, stretching it if necessary to reach the other edge. Pinch the edges of the dough together to seal it. Brush melted butter over the top of the dough and sprinkle with the remaining Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and grated parmesan cheese.
Using a knife, cut four to five small slits in the top of the stromboli to allow steam to escape during baking. Bake the stromboli in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
Once the stromboli is done baking, remove it from the oven and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. This will help the cheese and filling to set, making it easier to cut and serve. Enjoy your delicious and flavorful chicken parmesan stromboli!
More Delicious Dinner Ideas
Chicken Parmesan Stromboli
- 1 package pizza dough
- 5 to 6 frozen chicken strips
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder divided
- ⅓ cup pizza sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange the chicken strips on a baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle half the Italian seasoning and half the garlic powder over the top of the strips. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until crispy, then remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- When the chicken is finished baking, like a baking sheet with parchment paper and unroll the pizza dough on the pan.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and arrange the pieces along one half of the pizza dough.
- Top the chicken with pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the other half of the dough over the top of the toppings, stretching it as needed to reach across to the other edge. Pinch the edges together to seal the dough.
- Brush the melted butter over the top of the dough and top with remaining Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese.
- Use a knife to cut four to five small slits in the top to vent.
- Place the pan in the oven to bake for around 15 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow to rest for five minutes before slicing and serving.