Dive into the Halloween spirit with these Halloween Jalapeño Popper Mummies! A delightful blend of heat from fresh jalapeños and creamy richness from cheese, these poppers are wrapped in crescent roll dough to resemble little mummies.
Jalapeno Popper Mummies
When the chills of Halloween meet the fiery kick of jalapeños, you get a treat that's both spine-tingling and tongue-tingling!
These Jalapeño Popper Mummies are stuffed with a blend of cheeses, scallions, and bacon, then wrapped in a flaky crescent roll shroud, making them the ultimate spooky snack.
Perfect for Halloween gatherings or any spooky-themed soirée, these mummies are sure to be the talk of the tomb. And with those candy eyeballs peeking out, they're as mischievously fun as they are delicious.
So, if you're looking to add a dash of eerie elegance and a burst of flavor to your Halloween menu, these Jalapeño Popper Mummies are the way to go.
Beware: they might just be the first to vanish from the party platter!
Jalapeño peppers - Spicy flavor and shape for mummies. Remove seeds for less heat.
Cream cheese - Tangy filling base.
Pepper Jack cheese - Nutty heat pairs well with the jalapeños. You can change this out to a different cheese if you prefer something more mild.
Salt, Pepper, Scallion and Garlic - A delicious blend of spices and flavors.
Bacon pieces - Everything is better with bacon.
Crescent rolls - Used for wrapping the jalapenos to make it look like a mummy.
Candy eyes - You can find these in the baking section around Halloween.
How to Make
To make the Halloween jalapeño popper mummies, begin by preheating the oven to 400°F. Slice jalapeños in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
Finely chop the scallion.
In a bowl, mix cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, bacon, scallion and garlic with salt and pepper until combined.
Stuff cheese mixture into jalapeño halves. Unroll crescent rolls and slice them into pieces, wrapping each stuffed pepper and leaving an eye opening.
Bake for 12 minutes until flaky dough is golden. As soon as poppers exit the oven, add candy eyes for spooky faces.
Enjoy the spicy stuffed treats perfect for Halloween festivities.
Here are some tips for making these Jalapeno popper mummies
- Choose Fresh Jalapeños: Always pick firm, bright green jalapeños without any blemishes or soft spots for the best flavor and texture.
- Wear Gloves: When handling jalapeños, consider wearing gloves to avoid accidentally getting it into your eyes. Remember not to touch your face, especially your eyes, after handling the peppers. It can take awhile for the spiciness from your hands to go away...if I touch my eyes, even after washing my hands well I still have burning.
- Deseeding: Use a small spoon or a jalapeño corer to easily remove the seeds and membranes from the peppers.
- Cheese Consistency: Make sure to remove the cream cheese at least 30 minute before making to make sure it is at room temperature before mixing. This will help achieve a smooth and creamy filling.
- Customize the Filling: Feel free to experiment with different cheeses or add-ins like cooked chorizo, diced tomatoes, or even some smoked paprika for an extra kick.
- Eye Placement: Place the candy eyeballs immediately after baking while the dough is still soft. This makes sure they stick well and stay in place.
- Serving Tip: Serve the Jalapeño Popper Mummies with a side of sour cream or ranch dressing for dipping. It complements the heat of the jalapeños.
- Make Ahead: You can prepare the stuffed jalapeños a day in advance and store them in the refrigerator. Just wrap them in the crescent roll dough and bake right before serving.
Here's how to store leftover Halloween Jalapeño Popper Mummies:
Cooling: Before storing, allow the Jalapeño Popper Mummies to cool to room temperature. This prevents condensation from forming inside the storage container, which can make them soggy.
Airtight Container: Place the cooled mummies in an airtight container or cover them with plastic wrap.
Refrigeration: Store the container in the refrigerator. The Jalapeño Popper Mummies should be consumed within 3-4 days for the best quality.
Reheating: When you're ready to eat the leftovers, you can reheat them in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10 minutes or until they're warmed through. This will help them retain their crispy texture. Avoid using the microwave, as it can make the crescent roll dough soft and chewy.
It's important to remember that the candy eyeballs might lose their shape or melt when reheating. If you're planning to serve the leftovers to guests, you might want to consider adding fresh candy eyeballs after reheating.
Always use your best judgment and check for any signs of spoilage, like an off smell or mold, before consuming leftovers.
Halloween Jalapeno Popper Mummies
- 10 fresh jalapeno peppers
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 scallion
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 4- ounce package of bacon pieces cooked and cut into pieces
- 8 Crescent rolls 1 refrigerated package
- Candy Eyeballs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and slice peppers in half lengthwise and deseed the peppers.
- Chop scallion finely.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cheeses, scallion and bacon pieces.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a mixer or hands, mix everything together until well combined.
- Fill jalapeno peppers with cheese mixture.
- Unroll crescent rolls. Pinch two triangles together to form 4 rectangles total.
- Using a pizza cutter, slice each rectangle into 4 equal pieces.
- Wrap one piece of dough around each jalapeno popper, leaving a small opening for eyes.
- Bake poppers for 12 minutes.
- As soon as poppers come out of the oven, add two candy eyes to each opening.