These Christmas butter cookies are made from boxed cake mix, making them so quick and easy to make around the holidays.
The holidays just wouldn't be the same without festive cookies.
For a butter treat with a festive twist, try these super easy to make Christmas butter cookies.
Made incredibly simple by using a boxed cake mix as the base, these cookies get some holiday flair from Christmas sprinkles swirled throughout the dough.
Christmas Butter Cookies
We love bringing a variety of cookies to cookie exchanges and to drop off at friends and family's houses. Plus, we also need to leave some out for Santa on Christmas Eve.
These cookies are great for having kids help make them in the kitchen and sharing with friends, family and neighbors during the holiday season.
Ingredients for Boxed Mix Christmas Butter Cookies
White cake mix: Convenient mix acts as flour/sugar base for these butter cookies.
Butter and cream cheese: make sure to pull out of the fridge about a half an hour before starting to allow them to come up to room temperature.
Sprinkles: Use any festive sprinkles you'd like.
How to Make Christmas Butter Cookies from Boxed Cake Mix
To make the Christmas butter cookies, start by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper and setting aside.
In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the room temperature butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the white cake mix and beat until a smooth dough forms.
Stir in sprinkles until just combined.
Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least one hour or overnight to firm. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F.
Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough and roll to coat in powdered sugar. Place cookies onto prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly golden around the edges. Allow to cool completely before enjoying the festive sprinkle-flecked butter cookies.
Tips for Making the Best Christmas Butter Cookies
Here are some tips for making perfect Christmas butter cookies:
- Use room temperature butter and cream cheese. This allows them to cream together properly for a smooth, uniform dough.
- Don't overmix the dough once the cake mix is added. Just mix until combined to avoid tough cookies.
- Chill the dough for at least 1 hour. This allows the dough to firm up, making it easier to scoop and roll.
- Use a cookie scoop for evenly sized balls of dough. This results in uniform baking.
- Roll the dough balls generously in powdered sugar before baking. The coating helps prevent sticking and makes a pretty presentation.
- Bake the cookies on the lower end of the time range. It's better if they're slightly underbaked in the middle to maintain a soft, buttery texture.
- Let the cookies cool completely after baking to prevent breaking them.
- Feel free to get creative with the sprinkles! Use any holiday-colored or themed sprinkles.
With these simple tips, you'll have a plentiful batch of perfect Christmas butter cookies to enjoy all season long!
Storing leftovers of these festive Christmas butter cookies is easy, ensuring you'll have sweet treats on hand for Santa or surprise guests.
Here are some tips:
- Allow cookies to completely cool after baking before storing. Warm cookies will get soggy in storage.
- Place cookies in airtight containers, plastic bags, or cookie tins. This prevents them from drying out.
- For maximum freshness, store at room temperature up to 1 week. The powdered sugar coating helps lock in moisture.
- Cookies can also be frozen for longer term storage. Place cooled cookies in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until hard. Transfer to freezer bags or airtight containers.
- When freezing, place sheets of parchment or wax paper between cookie layers to prevent sticking.
- For best flavor and texture, thaw frozen cookies completely at room temperature before serving.
- To revive any cookies that lose their crispness, place in a 300°F oven for 2-3 minutes.
With proper storage, these Christmas cookies will retain their holiday cheer for cookie swaps, gift baskets, or even as a sweet surprise for Santa on Christmas Eve!
Christmas Butter Cookies
- 1 box white cake mix
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup Christmas sprinkles
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Using the paddle attachment on your stand mixer, cream room temperature butter and cream cheese until smooth consistency
- Add in white cake mix, and beat until well incorporated.
- Fold in sprinkles.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hr or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Roll cookies into 1 inch balls and roll to coat in powdered sugar.
- Place cookies on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 min.