Spook your senses and satisfy your sweet tooth with these frighteningly delicious Mummy Truffles!
Wrapped in creamy white chocolate, these cookie-stuffed treats are back from the dead to haunt your Halloween.
While their appearance may be ghostly, their taste is ghoulishly good.
Oreo cookies are crushed and combined with rich cream cheese to create a monster mash of flavors.
Once chilled and dipped in melted white chocolate, these mummy truffles emerge ready to rock your Halloween.
Dot on some candy eyeballs for that finishing touch.
Whether you're hosting a Halloween bash or looking for a creepy-crawly dessert to bring to the party, these mummy truffles will be a hit.
Just be prepared to make a second batch - these spooky sweets won't last long.
Ingredients for Mummy Truffles
Oreos - Double stuffed provides more cream filling, but regular works too.
Cream cheese - If you want, you can substitute frosting for a different flavor. Make sure to pull out the cream cheese a little beforehand and that the cream cheese is at room temperature.
White chocolate - Candy coating or chips work to coat the truffles.
Candy eyeballs - You can find these in the baking section of grocery stores around Halloween.
How to Make Halloween Mummy Truffles
To make these frighteningly delicious mummy truffles, start by crushing 25 Oreos into fine crumbs in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl and mix in 4 oz softened cream cheese until evenly incorporated and mixture forms a dough.
Roll dough into 1-inch balls and arrange on a parchment-lined pan. Chill for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
Once dough balls are chilled, melt 16 oz of white chocolate in the microwave, heating in 30 second bursts and stirring between until just smooth.
Dip each dough ball into the melted chocolate to coat, tapping off any excess. Place back on lined pan and use a spoon to smooth chocolate. Transfer any remaining melted chocolate to a piping or Ziploc bag and cut a small hole at one corner.
Pipe white chocolate in a zigzag pattern over each truffle to resemble mummy wrappings. Quickly top each with candy eyeballs, pressing to adhere before chocolate sets.
Let truffles sit 10-15 minutes before serving or storing.
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST MUMMY TRUFFLES
Here are some tips for making the best mummy truffles:
- Use Double Stuf or Mega Stuf Oreos for maximum flavor in the cookie base. The extra filling makes them extra decadent.
- Make sure the cream cheese is fully softened before mixing it into the crushed cookies. This prevents chunks in the dough.
- Chill the dough balls completely before dipping in chocolate. At least 30 minutes minimum so they hold their shape.
- Use high-quality white chocolate or candy coating for a smooth, glossy finish. Cheap chocolate may have a grainy texture.
- Dip just a few truffles at a time as the chocolate sets quickly. Work in small batches.
- Let excess chocolate drip off before placing dipped truffles on parchment.
- Use a spoon to gently smooth any indents in the chocolate coating for perfectly round mummies.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate in zig-zags over the truffles to create "mummy wrapping." Work quickly before chocolate sets.
- Place candy eyeballs on quickly so they adhere to the still-wet chocolate coating.
- Let the assembled mummy truffles set at room temperature until chocolate is firm before moving them.
- You can make a combination of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and white chocolate drizzle for variety.
- Get creative with "mummy wrapping" designs using various piping tips. Think spirals, dots, stripes.
STORAGE AND LEFTOVERS
Here are some tips for storing leftover Mummy Truffles:
Allow truffles to come to room temperature before storing. Storing straight from the refrigerator can cause condensation which leads to soggy truffles.
Place truffles in an airtight container, separating layers with parchment paper. This prevents the mummies from sticking together.
If any truffles have cracks in the chocolate coating, patch up with a bit of melted chocolate to prevent early spoilage.
Store mummy truffles in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. The chilled environment helps keep the cream cheese filling fresh.
Truffles will last 2-3 days at room temperature in an airtight container. Ideal for Halloween parties or occasions.
If truffles start weeping liquid, they are past peak freshness. Discard any with major cracks or weeping.
You can re-dip truffles in melted chocolate if existing coating starts getting streaky or blotchy during storage.
- 25 double stuffed Oreos
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 16 oz white chocolate or candy coating
- candy eye balls
- Using a food processor, crush the Oreos until finely ground. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Combine the softened cream cheese with the Oreo crumbs. Stir well until all the crumbs are coated and the dough balls up and becomes less crumbly.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or a heaping teaspoon - divide the dough equally to create about 1-inch size balls and roll between the palms of your hands to round out the edges as best as possible. Set on a piece of parchment. Continue until all the dough is shaped.
- Place the sheet of parchment on a cutting board or sheet pan that will fit in the fridge or freezer. Chill for at least 30 minutes to solidify the dough balls.
- Once chilled, begin melting the white chocolate. Transfer the white chocolate (or white candy coating) to a microwavable bowl. Heat in 30 second increments and stir well between each heat interval. Only heat until the mixture is smooth - do not overheat as it will scorch the chocolate.
- Once the white chocolate is smooth, place one ball of dough in the bowl and use a spoon to roll and cover in the melted chocolate. Gently scoop it out of the melted mixture and tap on the side of the bowl to release any excess and allow it to drip back into the bowl for about 10 seconds. Carefully place on the parchment and use the very tip of the spoon to smooth and cover the white chocolate where the spoon may have left an indent. Continue until all the balls are coated in white chocolate.
- Transfer the remaining melted white chocolate to a piping bag (or ziploc bag). Cut a small hole in the tip of the bag.
- Working quickly, drizzle the white chocolate over the dipped balls - only do 2-3 at a time. Immediately follow up with eye balls and press into place.
- Allow about 10-15 minutes for the white chocolate to set before moving.