Cherry Delight is a dessert that truly lives up to its name. This recipe combines a graham cracker crust, a creamy cheesecake-y filling made with Cool Whip, and a luscious cherry topping to create a dessert that's both delightful to look at and to eat.
Cherry Delight is the perfect easy dessert for any occasion.
With its graham cracker crust, creamy filling, and sweet cherry pie topping, it's guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser.
This retro recipe is a classic potluck and picnic dessert, thanks to how well it travels and feeds a group. But it's also special enough to serve at birthdays, holidays, or family gatherings year-round.
Cherry Delight comes together quickly, with just a bit of easy mixing and assembling required.
Classic Cherry Delight
Cherry Delight is a dessert that holds a special place in our hearts for many reasons.
- Simple no-bake preparation means no oven required, just easy mixing and assembly
- Versatile recipe works with any fruit pie filling depending on season or preference
- Potluck and party perfect - feeds a crowd
- Festive red and white layered look is perfect for holidays
- Kids love it!
- Guaranteed crowd-pleaser that's easy for even novice bakers to make
More Layered Dessert Recipes
Ingredients for Cherry Delight
Graham crackers: . You can also experiment with other types of cookies for a different flavor profile.
Granulated sugar: You can adjust the amount to your liking.
Unsalted butter: Make sure it's melted so it combines well with the graham cracker crumbs.
Cream cheese: It's important that it's at room temperature so it blends smoothly with the other ingredients.
Powdered sugar: You can adjust the amount to your liking.
Vanilla extract: A little bit of vanilla enhances the flavors of the other ingredients.
Frozen whipped topping: This gives the filling a light, fluffy texture. Make sure it's thawed before using.
Cherry pie filling: This is the topping for the dessert. You can use homemade or store-bought, depending on your preference and time constraints.
How to Make Cherry Delight
Start by preparing your graham cracker crust. In a food processor, pulse the graham crackers with the sugar until you have fine crumbs. Add the melted butter and pulse again until all the crumbs are coated and the mixture resembles fine sand. Press this mixture into the bottom of your prepared baking dish to form an even, tight layer.
Next, prepare your filling. Beat the cream cheese with the powdered sugar and vanilla until the mixture is smooth. Then, fold in the thawed whipped topping until it's well blended. Spread this cream cheese mixture over the top of your graham cracker crust.
Finally, carefully spread the cherry pie filling over the top of the cream cheese layer. Once everything is assembled, refrigerate your dessert for at least 2 hours before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together and the dessert to firm up, making it easier to cut into servings.
Enjoy your Cherry Delight!
Tips for Making the Best Cherry Delight
- Crust Release: If you are having difficulty removing pieces, you can place the bottom of the pan (only the bottom) in a sink filled with hot water for about a minute.
- Use Cool Whip: For the best results, use Cool Whip for the creamy layer.
- Make Ahead: Cherry Delight is a great dessert to make ahead of time.
- Chill Time: Make sure to refrigerate the dessert for at least a few hours before serving. This allows the layers to set properly and makes it easier to cut into neat squares.
Leftover Cherry Delight can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Make sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap.
If you have a large amount of leftovers, you might consider portioning them into individual servings for easy grab-and-go desserts throughout the week.
For the crust:
- 9 graham crackers
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
For the filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping thawed
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling
- Prepare a 8x8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make the crust: With a food processor, pulse the graham crackers with the sugar until fine crumbs form. Add the butter and pulse the food processor until all of the crumbs are coated in the butter. The mixture will resemble fine sand.
- Press the graham cracker crumbs into the bottom of the 8x8 baking dish into an even, tight layer.
- To make the filling: Beat the cream cheese with the powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Then, fold in the whipped topping until well blended. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the top of the graham cracker layer.
- Carefully drop and spread the cherry pie filling over the top of the cream cheese layer.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours prior to serving.