These lemon cake mix cookies have a soft and delicious lemon flavor.
Lemons and lemon-flavored desserts are a favorite around my house, especially during the spring and summer months.
If you love lemon cookies, you'll love these lemon cake mix cookies.
Lemon cake mix cookies are so simple to make - you only need a few ingredients and they bake up in minutes.
These cookies are incredibly soft with a lemon flavor that isn't over-powering.
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
Lemon cake mix cookies are perfect during spring and summer when lemons just seem so refreshing.
If you have kids, these are such a fast and easy recipe to make with them.
Ingredients for Lemon Mix Cookies
- box lemon cake mix
- butter, softened
- lemon extract
- cream cheese, softened
- powdered sugar
How to Make Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
Step 1: Beat together the butter, lemon extract, cream cheese, and egg in a large bowl until well combined.
Step 2: Add the cake mix to the bowl and beat to mix.
Step 3: Chill the cookie dough for at least 30 minutes.
Step 4: When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Scoop the dough into a ball and roll each ball in powdered sugar.
Step 5: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place dough balls on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges are just beginning to brown.
Step 6: Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Top with additional powdered sugar before serving.
Cool and Enjoy!
Tips for Making Lemon Cake Cookies
Here are some tips for baking the best lemon cake mix cookies:
- make sure the cookies are uniform in size when placing them onto the cookie sheet. Using a cookie scoop works well for this.
- I found it easiest to use the cookie scoop to scoop the dough out of the bowl, then drop the cookie dough balls directly into the bowl of powdered sugar. I'd roll it into more of a ball as it was in the bowl.
- make sure lemons are at room temperature before juicing. I like to roll the lemons before juicing.
- If you want the cookies to have a stronger lemony flavor you can zest a lemon and add lemon zest to the batter.
If you end up with leftover cookies, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to five days.
There are quite a few ways to change up these lemon cookies. Here are a couple:
- Use a strawberry cake mix for strawberry lemon cookies.
- For coconut lemon cookies you can add a cup of shredded coconut to the batter.
- You can swap out the lemon cake mix for any flavor you like. If you want, leave out the lemon extract or swap it out for vanilla extract.
Freezing cookies is one of my favorite things to do! This makes it so I always have cookies in the freezer, ready to go. I can then bake just a few cookies at a time, or more if I want.
In order to freeze these. Form the dough into balls, roll them in the powdered sugar and place them onto a cookie sheet. Freeze them for a few hours or overnight until frozen. Transfer the cookie balls into a freezer-safe container and you can store them in the freezer for up to 9 to 12 months.
When you are ready to bake them, you can stick them onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake them in your oven. They will need some additional time to bake, but check them at the time in the recipe, then again after another couple of minutes.
More Delicious Recipes
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese softened
- 1 egg
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Beat together the butter, lemon extract, cream cheese, and egg until well combined.
- Add the cake mix to the bowl and beat to mix.
- Chill the cookie dough for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Scoop the dough into a ball and roll each ball in powdered sugar.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place each coated cookie on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges are just beginning to brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Top with additional powdered sugar before serving.