This coleslaw is slightly sweet and tangy. Once you have a bite, you'll crave more.
Coleslaw is a summertime favorite!
You always see it at potlucks, BBQ's and picnics and for good reason - it's just so tasty - especially when it's homemade.
This is a classic coleslaw recipe that is not only quick and easy to put together, but it is delicious! It goes really well for topping on BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, hamburgers, and even hot dogs.
It's a great side for fried chicken, especially when paired with some baked beans...yum!
Easy Classic Coleslaw Recipe
You'll love the mix of tangy and sweet in this coleslaw recipe. Plus, it's so quick and easy to make.
This calls for pre shredded coleslaw mix, but if you love and prefer using fresh cabbage, it's easy enough to shred your own cabbage and carrots.
The coleslaw dressing we make is perfect. It is creamy and tangy and is made with mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar and spices such as celery salt and pepper.
This is the best coleslaw recipe and you're sure to love it.
More Easy Summer Salad Recipes:
Tips for Making the Best Coleslaw
- Make sure to refrigerate for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- This coleslaw uses mayo, so make sure you refrigerate it. If you are bringing this to a potluck, BBQ, etc. Make sure you keep it chilled and don't leave it out for too long.
- While we love making this coleslaw the day before, make sure not to make it too far in advance. The cabbage starts to break down and won't be as crunchy the longer it sits.
- Instead of buying a premade coleslaw mix from the store, you can shred red, green, or savoy cabbage or a combination of them and some carrots.
- You can swap out the mayo for yogurt.
- Add in shredded green apples, broccoli stems or zucchini.
- If you don't have celery salt, you can use celery seeds in its place.
What to Serve this Easy Coleslaw Recipe With
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- BBQ Hamburgers or Hot Dogs
- Baked Beans
If you have any leftovers, store in airtight container in your fridge. The coleslaw will be good for 3-4 days.
- bag of coleslaw mix (red cabbage, green cabbage, and carrots)
- apple cider vinegar
- ground black pepper
- celery salt
- onion powder
- garlic powder
How to Make Homemade Coleslaw
Step 1: You'll start by making the homemade coleslaw dressing. Combine the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, pepper, salt, celery salt, onion powder, and garlic powder together in a medium bowl.
Step 2: Pour the pre shredded cabbage mixture into a large bowl and top it with the creamy coleslaw dressing. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
Step 3: Chill in refrigerate for 10 minutes or until ready to serve.
More Side Dish Recipes
- 1 16- ounce bag coleslaw mix red cabbage, green cabbage, and carrots
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, pepper, salt, celery salt, onion powder, and garlic powder together in a medium bowl.
- Pour the coleslaw mix into a large bowl and top it with the dressing. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until ready to serve.