These 4th of July rice Krispy treats are a perfect, easy fourth of July dessert that everyone will love. They are festive, tasty, patriotic dessert.
I don't know about you, but it seems like we always get together with friends or family over the 4th of July holiday and it always involves a potluck.
Sometimes I have a hard time thinking of what to bring - a side dish or a dessert... Other times it's hard to narrow down which dish I want to bring.
These star Rice Krispie Treats are the perfect answer for what to bring to the 4th of July BBQ this year.
You'll use the Rice Krispy treat recipe to make these treats, cool them down and then use a cookie cutter to cut them into star shapes. Next, drizzle some candy melts over the top, add some sprinkles and they are ready to go!
While I normally love baking and cooking, I don't like being in the kitchen too much when it's hot out. Our 4th of July this year is currently predicted to be in the mid 90's. I love that these don't heat the house up too much.
Alternatives and Substitutions
Chocolate: You could use melted chocolate in place of the candy melts if you prefer. Either white chocolate or milk chocolate would be delicious. If you use both, I'd drizzle the chocolate one on first, then the white chocolate second to make it really stand out.
Frosting: Using frosting in place of the candy melts is another option. You can use food dye to dye part of it red and part of it blue.
How long do Rice Krispies treats last?
We find Rice Krispy treats disappear pretty quickly in our house, but they should be good for a day or two. At the most three days.
How to Store Rice Krispy Treats
You can store these in an air tight container.
How to Soften Hard Rice Krispy Treats?
If you find your Rice Krispy treats have become a bit hard, you can soften them up. To do so, microwave them in intervals of 5 seconds until they get to right softness.
Can You Make These Ahead of Time
Yes, you can make them ahead of time, but they taste the best soon after making. Feel free to make them a day or two beforehand. If you need to make them earlier than a day or two, then you can freeze them for up to six weeks.
- mini marshmallows
- Rice Krispies cereal
- blue candy melts
- red candy melts
- red, white, and blue sprinkles
- 9"x13" baking dish or pan
- large pot
- parchment paper
- star shaped cookie cutter
- 2-3 ziplock bags
Step 1: Grease a 9x13 pan with butter or nonstick spray.
Step 2: Using a large pot, melt the butter over low heat.
Step 3: Once butter is melted, add marshmallows, making sure to stir often until they are completely melted.
Step 4: Add the Rice Krispies and stir well until completely mixed.
Step 5: Add the Rice Krispy marshmallow mixture into the greased pan, use either a buttered spatula or a ziplock baggie over your hand to push cereal mixture evenly into the pan.
Step 6: Cool in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. This will allow cutting into the Rice Krispies easier.
Step 7: Line a large cutting board or baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the Rice Krispies from the baking dish onto the parchment paper.
Step 8: Use your star shaped cookie cutter and cut the Rice Krispies into star shapes.
Step 9: Melt the candy melts either in the microwave or in a pan on the stove. If using the microwave, heat for 60 seconds, then stir to help melt all the candy. You can melt in additional 30 second intervals if needed until they are totally melted. Add the melted red candy melts into one ziplock baggie and the melted blue into a different baggie.
Step 10: Using scissors (or a sharp knife), snip off a tiny bit of the corner for each baggie. Pipe candy in a back and forth motion across the stars. Repeat for the other color.
Step 11: Add sprinkles
4th of July Rice Krispy Treats
- 3 tbsp butter
- 10 oz package mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ½ cup blue candy melts
- ½ cup red candy melts
- Red white, and blue sprinkles
- Star shaped cookie cutter
- 2-3 ziplock bags
- In a large pot, melt butter over low heat.
- Add marshmallows, and stir often until completely melted.
- Add Rice Krispies and stir well.
- Grease 9” x 13” pan, and add mixture to the pan.
- Grease a spatula or silicone spoon, or use a Ziplock baggie over you hand, and press mixture evenly into pan.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes to help cut easier.
- Line a large cutting board or baking sheet with parchment paper, and remove Rice Krispies from the pan and put them on top of the parchment paper.
- Use the cookie cutter to cut out star shapes.
- Using either your stove top or a pan, melt the candy melts. If using the microwave, heat the candy melts for 60 seconds, and massage the bags to help melt all of the candy. If needed, heat in additional 30 second intervals, until fully melted.
- Put the red candy melts into one ziplock baggie, the blue into another. Using a scissors or knife, snip off the very corner of each baggie, and pipe candy in a back and forth motion across the stars. Repeat for the other color.
- Add sprinkles.